Charles Dickens' proposal
At first I thought that I was going to work alone in my proposal, fortunately I formed a team with Thelma and Jorge. We agree in making a poem based in the story "The old curiosity shop" of Charles Dickens. The poem's name is "Wealth and death", we came up with it because the recurring aspirations of many of the characters in the story is obtaining money.
Wealth and death
Dickens usually talked about debt
He used literature to reflect his life
It must have being harsh I bet
His beginnings were not rife
The Old Curiosity Shop was inspired
by a personal tragedy in Dickens’ life
Nell is based on the seventeen year old sister-in-law
of Dickens who lived with him and whom he was fond of.
Money made Nell’s future to be a gamble
More than his grandfather’s struggle for health
Their destiny was completely a scramble
With the main objective of gaining wealth
Frederick, Dick and Quilp acted with ambition
To obtain what they thought deserved
Forgetting to accomplish their mission
Ultimately enjoying what they earned
All human’s fate includes death’s kiss
Our constant struggle to embrace
To earth trying always to escape
Death, prevents us to have bliss
To reach a goal we need more than a plan
That’s what Nell’s grandparent did
He thought his actions were the best bid
That was the problem with being a player man.
Even though currency is not total happiness
It is the tool to reach our goal’s fulfilling
But forgetting your ideals end with emptiness
Or could it be that I am just chilling?
As time passes by and their health decline
with a calming aura she will appear
and don’t be scared, everything will be fine
as they will be by the river together with no fear.
By:Thelma Cárdenas, Jorge Vela, and Victor Ordoñez
No comments:
Post a Comment